Custom Search

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Surviving Dubai

This is not a friendly place to me.. What I mean is the environment. It’s summer time now. Highest temperature can go up to 50⁰C. Oh my gosh… how people there can stand with this kind of heat!!

I was in Dubai end of last month which leaves me a great nightmare. I touch down Dubai (DXB) at 0400. Imagine that is dawn and the temperature is 29⁰C. This is still not too bad coz it’s almost like the weather in KL during the noon. Reach my hotel and get ready to take some nap.
Woke up in the noon time and the sun is so hot and the weather reaching to 40⁰C. Isn’t the right and nice time to go out at that time with that hot hot weather. So continue with my sleep and try to hop in to our hotel’s shuttle to go to downtown at 1630.


To my surprise the hotel changes their pickup area for the shuttle. Too bad that I miss that shuttle coz I was waiting and waiting at the hotel lobby and then the shuttle is at another exit. Their shuttle bus is so punctually depart. When I rush to the exit, all I can see is the tail of the shuttle. L So I have to wait for another 2 hours for the next shuttle. (This time cannot miss it anymore).

Since I learn my lesson so I am early this time. Hehehe….

Got off at their drop-off point - City Centre (aka Carrefour). It is a very huge shopping mall. One word to express… “Wah…..” You can shop till you drop. The brands in there like Banana Republic, Nine West, Vincci, A/X, Forever 21, Geox, etc.
One good thing here is they open shops till late… so you can have plenty of time to shop and buy your stuff. But the sad news is shuttle bus ends very early. Taking a cab in Dubai is so expensive. According to my calculation, the fare increase every 12 seconds. Wow… imagine caught in the traffic jam!!!


Taxi expensive, you think you can hop in to the bus? Think again. My friend and I waited under the sun for one hour and we still waiting for bus. Not that no bus pass by that stops. It just that the driver say the bus is full and if he doesn’t allow you to get in, NO WAY you are in the bus!!!! If you are alone (girl) waiting for the bus, very highly you can get in. Good thing about their bus service is the seats between male and female are separated. The first 4 rows in the bus are reserved for ladies. Even if a lady to stand, she has to stand at the ladies session… Very safe!!!
But anyway, the overall process to get a bus is already killing me… No way for me to try that again in SUMMER time… winter maybe I will try that!


For those who are going there during the summer, please make sure u have enough sun block, bottle of water, umbrella/cap, wear long sleeves, wear sun glasses, bring handkerchief instead of tissue…(coz you will be sweating all the time and handkerchief will be more absorbant)…

No comments: